SOC Engineer at Stanbic bank
This role will operate within the “Build” structure in the Security Operations Centre.
The SOC Engineer is responsible for ensuring that all log / data sources are ingested into the SIEM. The SOC Engineer will also be responsible for the development of Use Cases or input into the development of Use Cases, with the ultimate goal of the development of the relevant rulesets related to the Use Cases within the SIEM. Another key function would be Rule Development as well as Rule Refinement.. The SOC Engineer will also provide thought leadership in the “Build” function and ensure that continuous improvements are implemented in the SOC, in terms of process consistency and efficiency.
Tools and associated competencies
- Good understanding – operating systems and databases – Unix , Windows , Oracle , SQL, DB2
- Good understanding of at SIEM technology as well as other detection technologies
- Good understanding of at SIEM technology in order to provide guidance to the relevant application teams on the different type of on boarding options
- Good understanding and experience on Use Case development
- Knowledge of scripting language(s) e.g. Python as well as RegEx
- Good understanding of Unix commands
- Good understanding of building rules within a SIEM
- Good understanding of networks and networking technologies
- Strong and proven troubleshooting skills
- Basic programming skills
Enable collaborative working, using a consistent approach to delivering projects to the business
- Good communication skills both verbal and written
- Good networking and collaboration skills
- Reporting – ability to produce both technical and executive reports as and when required
- Solid technical (IT) background
- Strong planning and co-ordinating skills.
- Good conceptual thinking skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a bigger team.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Degree in IT and Computer Sciences
- 5-7 Years experience in Information Technology